What is the vehicle discount?
- As of October 1, 2013, the GM Employee Discount Program features a bigger base discount than before. Itís now one easy number, listed on the vehicle invoice in the right-hand column next to “EMPLOY.” The discount allows employees and their eligible family members to purchase
vehicles at the Employee Discount Price — a special discounted price that is below the MSRP. Plus, you can combine this discount with most
to save even more. When you
build a vehicle
to your exact specifications you can view MSRP and the Employee Discount Price. Simply follow the prompts.
Who is eligible for the GM Employee Discount?
- Active GM employees, retirees, surviving spouses and divestitures are eligible to take advantage of the GM Employee Discount or sponsor the following purchasers:
- Grandparents (including in-law and step)
- Siblings (including full, half and step)
- Same-sex domestic partners (SSDP) of eligible participants also qualify, where applicable. (Note: Eligible SSDPs are treated the same as spouses and, therefore, their eligible family members are also included.) For more information, contact the National Benefits Center at 1.800.489.4646.
Which GM vehicles are eligible for the GM Employee Discount Program?
- Many new and unused 2016 and 2015 GM cars; SUVs; crossovers; midsize, light-duty and HD pickup trucks and passenger and cargo vans are eligible. To see a list of excluded vehicles, check out
on the home page. Some other models may have limited availability. Eligibility of GM vehicles may change at any time without notice.
What do I need to do to take advantage of the discount?
- You will need to obtain an authorization number and bring it to your participating GM Dealer.
and select “Programs” then “GM Employee Discount” from the navigation bar at the top. Then click “Obtain Authorization.” The online process is quick and convenient for you, and it costs the company much less than the phone process.
How do I obtain an authorization number for eligible family members?
- After logging in, select “Programs” then “GM Employee Discount” from the top navigation bar. Click “Obtain Authorization” then follow the prompts. Enter your family member's date of birth, ZIP Code and his or her relationship to you. After confirming the information you entered, you will immediately receive the authorization number, which you can give to your family member.
How many GM Employee Discount Program authorization numbers can I use or share for the calendar year?
- You can obtain authorization numbers for the purchase or lease of a total of six (6) vehicles for you and your eligible family members per year.
Where can I find program eligibility information?
- Once you've logged in, select “Programs” from the top navigation bar and all of the programs you are eligible for will be displayed. To find out whom you can refer, click on the Rules and Guidelines contained within each program link.
Where can I go for immediate assistance?
by submitting a form via this website and we will be happy to assist you. Or call the automated phone system at 1.800.235.4646.
I forgot my user name. How can I retrieve it?
- Click on the
I've forgotten my user name
link on the login box and you will be prompted for your name, ZIP Code, date of birth and email. After the system has validated your information, you will be prompted to enter the answer to the secret question you selected during registration. After you provide the correct answer, your user name will appear and prompt you to enter your password.
Note: If your last login was prior to 9/30/13, your user name will be the one you selected during initial registration. Once you log in, you will be prompted to enter or confirm your email address. Your email address will become your user name from that point on. If your last login was after 9/30/13, your user name is your email address.
I forgot my password. How can I retrieve it?
- Click on the
I've forgotten my password
link on the login box and you will be prompted for your user name. Once the system has validated a correct user name, you will be prompted to enter the answer to the secret question you selected during registration. After you provide the correct answer, you will be prompted to reset your password.
How can I change my profile (email address/phone number/address)?
- In order to update your profile, log in and then click on the “My Profile” link located near the Sign Out button in the top right corner of the website. Your profile will then be displayed on the page. You can make changes to your email address or phone number. For active employees, any other changes can be made by contacting your HR department or, if you have access to MySocrates, by selecting “Services Home Address Update.” Retirees and surviving spouses should contact the GM Benefits and Services Center at 1.800.489.4646 with address changes.
Can my family members request an authorization number?
- No. Only GM employees, retirees and surviving spouses of eligible participants are permitted to request an authorization number to purchase or lease an eligible, new GM vehicle.
Can my family members access gmfamilyfirst.com?
- Yes. Your family members can find vehicle pricing, current offers, vehicle eligibility and more on the gmfamilyfirst.com home page. However, they cannot request an authorization number. The employee must obtain an authorization number when a family member is ready to buy.
Do I have to purchase or lease through GM Financial?
- No. You can purchase or lease through any financial institution. However, some APR offers are exclusive to specific financial institutions.
Under the GM Employee Discount Program, why are there restrictions on certain models?
- General Motors may authorize restrictions on certain models for production purposes. When new models are introduced, GM attempts to build an inventory to provide for all consumers. The restrictions may be lifted once production of the vehicle is in full operation. Please check the
page to view current restrictions.
As an eligible participant, can I title a vehicle in the name of a living trust?
- Yes, you can title a vehicle in the name of a living trust as long as the living trust bears the name of the eligible participant.
Can my family member combine this discount with current offers?
- In most cases, yes. Have your eligible family member visit a GM Dealer or gmfamilyfirst.com for details on eligible
How many vehicles is my family member eligible to purchase/lease?
- The participant may purchase or lease one eligible vehicle per authorization number.
How can my family member learn more about specific vehicles, features and prices?
- Direct them to gmfamilyfirst.com, where they can select
Build & Price
from the home page. It has all the information they will need to build a new vehicle to their own specifications and see the discount price.
Can I combine my Earnings with my GM Employee/GMS Discount?
- Earnings from the GM Extended Family Card (1.800.419.6698) or GM Business Card (1.800.446.5347) may be combined with the GM Employee Discount. The GM Extended Family Card from Capital One was created for members of the GM Family who are eligible for the GM New Vehicle Purchase Programs— including employees, retirees, their eligible family members, suppliers and dealers. You can earn a full 1% Earnings on all credit card purchases redeemable toward any eligible, new vehicle from Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac. Combine your Earnings with your GM vehicle discount for even greater savings. With the GM Extended Family Card, you also have the option to receive 1% Earnings redeemable for cash back in $50 increments if you decide you are not in the market for a new vehicle. Please visit
or call the numbers listed for further details.
Can I share the Employee Discount or the GM Supplier Discount for Friends with government employees?
- Individuals who are employed by a government organization may not be eligible to participate due to relevant government rules. Consult General Motors Policy: PPC-06 SALE, DONATION OR COURTESY LOAN OF VEHICLES TO GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS/ENTITIES.
What is the policy for misuse?
- Authorization numbers may not be sold or bartered. This program is subject to audit and verification, and misuse will result in sanctions against the GM employee. Violations of these program rules and guidelines by any purchaser may result in sanctions against the eligible participant. Sanctions may include, but are not limited to, the loss of privileges, repayment of monies and/or employment action, up to and including the termination of employment. In addition, legal action may be commenced for violation of program rules.
How can I find out more about a specific GM model?
- Questions about vehicle features, pricing, model eligibility, leasing and current offers should be directed to a participating GM Dealer. You can also visit
for more information or
download a brochure
for a specific vehicle.
GM Supplier Discount for Friends
What is the GM Supplier Discount for Friends?
- The GM Supplier Discount for Friends is a program that allows active and retired GM employees to extend the same discount GM suppliers enjoy to cousins, friends or neighbors. This discount also got better as of October 1, 2013, offering eligible participants a bigger base discount.
Who is eligible to share the GM Supplier Discount for Friends?
- GM active and retired employees.
To whom can I give my GM Supplier Discount for Friends authorization numbers?
- You can share authorization numbers with extended family or friends who are not currently eligible for your GM Employee Discount. When deciding on people to share this opportunity with, think about people who don't currently have a GM vehicle, and GM owners who you know want to add another GM vehicle to their household.
Can my referral receive the GM Supplier Discount for Friends from any GM Dealer?
- This program is available through all participating U.S. GM Dealers and is voluntary on the part of the dealers. Dealer participation is on a vehicle-by-vehicle basis. Your referral should inform the dealer of his or her intention to use a supplier pricing authorization number during his or her first contact with the dealer. If the dealer elects not to participate, your referral may visit another GM Dealer.
I want to give the GM Supplier Discount for Friends to a cousin or neighbor. Which GM vehicles are eligible?
- Many new and unused 2016 and 2015 GM cars; SUVs; crossovers; midsize, light-duty and HD pickup trucks and passenger and cargo vans are eligible. To see a list of excluded vehicles, select
from the home page. Some other models may have limited availability. Eligibility of GM vehicles may change at any time without notice.
How many authorization numbers can I get for the GM Supplier Discount for Friends program?
- Eligible LTI, M-band and retired executives can request two (2) GM Supplier Discount for Friends authorization numbers per month. All other eligible employees can request one (1) GM Supplier Discount for Friends authorization number per month.
Can the GM Supplier Discount for Friends authorization numbers be sent directly to my cousin or neighbor?
- Once you have obtained an authorization number from the website, you will be able to email the information directly to your referrals.
Is the GM Supplier Discount for Friends Program compatible with GM Extended Family Card Earnings?
- The GM Supplier Discount for Friends is compatible with the
GM Extended Family Card
from Capital One. It offers a full 1% Earnings on all credit card purchases redeemable toward any eligible, new vehicle from Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac. Combine your Earnings with the GM Supplier Discount for Friends for even greater savings. With the GM Extended Family Card, you also have the option to receive 1% Earnings redeemable for cash back in $50 increments* if you decide you are not in the market for a new vehicle.
*GM Extended Family Cardmembers will have the option of redeeming their qualifying GM Extended Family Card Earnings for cash in increments of $50.